Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Charm Bracelets are So Charming

A couple days ago a friend was asking for my advice on charm bracelets for girls. He has a daughter who is 8 years old and I think he’s looking for gift ideas.

I have all kinds of opinions about charm bracelets, so I'll share my thoughts about them and you can then make your own decisions about whether you think they are a good gift idea for your little girl or girls. My first thought is that they are really special and such a great record of a life well lived, so I’m in complete support of anyone who decides to start one for a daughter, granddaughter, niece, sister – or any girl.

You should consider this an heirloom piece of jewelry from the outset. Start with a good quality gold bracelet - make sure the links are sturdy enough to hold a lot of charms and that there are enough links for an adult wrist - if you want it to be useful while the girl is still small, you could have links taken out and just save them so they can be added back as she grows up. Also make sure the clasp is sturdy and has a good safety chain as well. My parents didn’t really allow us to wear our bracelets until we were responsible (old) enough not to lose them. I think maybe we were allowed to wear them on special occasions only. You could opt down on bracelet value to start and upgrade it later, but the cost of attaching individual charms is $20-$40 bucks each, so you don’t want to have to attach charms twice. Go for the real deal from the beginning. It's going to be expensive because gold is expensive right now, but remember, this is an heirloom jewelry item, so suck it up.


Right now you’re probably thinking – what the hell – can’t I just get a silver or silver plated one for lots lets? Yes, you can, but…… my big rule – If you’re going to do it right, get GOLD (14 or 18 carat), not silver. Silver bracelets aren’t worth much and don’t seem to retain special value over generations and that is why you end up seeing them all over the place at garage and estate sales. No one considers them special or valuable enough to keep over time. Gold bracelets and gold charms get better from a sentimental standpoint and become more valuable over time, and are something a girl could pass down to her daughter or granddaughter at some point later in life.


My parents started ours with charms from family trips or from special occasions like holidays or graduations or special life events. Most fine jewelry stores stock only a few charms related to whatever City or State they are in – for example in Seattle the charms available will be the Space Needle charm, or a ferry, but not much else. If you want something special you will have to order it in advance, especially if you want to have it engraved with names or dates. In other countries, you'll find fine jewelry stores with better charm selection but that's because they are more sophisticated that we "rubes" in America. I have also found charms on Ebay and at estate jewelry stores too - and sometimes the antique charms are really really nice and worth looking for. You can expect to pay $100-$500 or more for a good charm, the more 3 dimensional the charm the more pricy (and better) it is - obviously because of weight and feel. Some charms have gems in/on them too, so those are clearly for super special occasions.

While your girl is still little you could start her with charms that commemorate her birthday or holidays with dates, etc. Often those are the flat one dimensional charms, but they are good to have too - there are shapes of a girls head, or a heart, or lockets that are pretty affordable to start out with. I bought one for my niece last Christmas that was a candy cane - and it was only $40. She was only 6 at the time, so I felt like that was a reasonable starter charm - and wouldn't be a disaster if she lost it.

I didn’t get really expensive charms until I was in high school or even later - and those I typically bought myself to mark occasions, travel or events. So, consequently, my charm bracelet has gotten better and better over time. I think right now it is probably quite valuable - I have about 40 charms now and while it’s getting pretty crowded, I really like that it’s “mature”!

Overall thoughts - greatest gift EVER for a girl - and you'll always know what to get her for events - graduation, wedding, baby, etc... you can’t go wrong. Also, it's a super fun club to belong to. I’ve met women all over the world through the charm bracelet connection. You absolutely cannot see a charm bracelet on someone without asking to see it and to admire their charms. Everyone’s is completely different and special. Even my sister, who I obviously grew up with and shared a lot of the same life events, has a bracelet that is completely different than mine and equally OUTSTANDING and UNIQUE!


So, while we are smack dab in the middle of graduation season, start one now for your lovely girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment