Monday, November 25, 2013

Wreath hunting!

Saturday was wreath making day with my Mom. 

First order of business - get fixins! Kit and I walked around the farm and in the woods and collected supplies - tiny Alder cones, holly, mossy sticks, cedar boughs, Alder branches, etc. We also got cut to ribbons by millions of blackberry stickers and stung by nettles. Wow! Hard working getting a few little pretties.

My Mom came over around 12:30, then we had to make a pilgrimage to Michael's to see what we needed there. Note to self: have a super specific plan before entering a Michael's store for supplies. We ended up sort of aimlessly wandering around wondering what in the hell we were doing. I bought some tree forms and some wreath forms and some burlap and some fake berries. Oh, and extra glue gun glue - because - I'm sure that no matter what happens, I'll need lots of hot glue. 

So, finally, 2:30pm and we start the wreaths. Here's as far as we got in one afternoon. My mom's cedar bough wreath was beautiful. I made the tiny tree out of wrapping twigs with moss around the form. I'm going to do the two larger trees tonight - with different material - I'll post the results. I also finished this stick wreath, from young Alder branches and the fake red berries. This baby took a lot of hot glue, but it's pretty cute. I'm hanging it on the front door at our Seattle apartment - very minimal - and not too "Christmas-y", especially since our vestibule neighbors are Jewish - I thought it might be nice to put up non-denominational festive in that area.

Lot's more to come - stay tuned.

Alder cones
View of Liberty Bay from our woods
Found this on an old downed tree. Too pretty to take home.
Holly and berries from the tree out front - making Holly good for exactly one thing and
one thing only - Holiday decorations.
Alder cones.
Cedar boughs - lots of them.
Wreath and tree forms from Michaels.
Finished cedar bough wreath with Magnolia leaves, apples and balls.
Alder branch and berry wreath.
Sorry for the weak wreath pics. We didn't have a nice plain place to hang them - so we stuck them up on the cabinet just for pics. Better ones to come!
Tiny moss tree with Alder cones.
And here's what you do when you are done!

Merry wreath making!

No comments:

Post a Comment