Thursday, November 21, 2013

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree....

I know! It's not even Thanksgiving yet..... but I have Christmas on my mind...... which reminds me of a little story - that I shall tell you now so that you will understand that sometimes Christmas can turn you into a shitty and selfish ass! Yes, it happened to me. Learn from this and I will feel better... someday.

The first year Kit and I had a tree together, maybe 2007, I was pretty one track minded about how I wanted our tree to look. I thought I was going to decorate the prettiest tree EVER OF ALL TIME and he would just be in awe and angels would sing and he would forever look to me as the greatest thing he ever found. 

Well, not exactly. I worked and worked and worked on the tree and made it all perfect and every ornament was perfect and pretty and exactly right. Unfortunately, I ignored every single one of his ornaments, all of his childhood tree traditions and just about every single sentimental thing that made Christmas special for him. I also failed to include him in setting the tree up, or putting the lights on it, anything. It was pretty much a one track mind shut-out (which at the time I had no idea I was doing). So, after it was all done, and I was in Christmas euphoria basking in my own awesomeness, he was sort of moping around the house. Finally I drag out of him (because he is super super nice and didn't want to hurt my feelings) what a selfish ass I was being and that in one afternoon I managed to make him feel like he didn't even exist in our Christmas plans, and that basically I sucked the Christmas wind right out of him. 

I have felt so badly about that year that since then, I have hardly been able to decorate the tree without hearing this in my head: "What an ass you were!" Now we incorporate his ornaments too (even if some of them don't fit my "theme"). And lucky for me, Kit is nice so he doesn't hold it against me. 

New Holiday Rules:

1. When you are single or when you are an old lady and all alone, feel free to have your tree EXACTLY the way you want it, with not a thing out of place. Ahh, enjoy.

2. When you have a boyfriend, or husband, or wife, or kids, or cats..... get over it. Your tree is not ALL ABOUT YOU - it's everyone's tree. So get with the program, drink a big glass of eggnog and let it go.

Here are a few ornaments I saw online that I think are beautiful - for my tree, or for a gift. 

 Icicles - by Breanna Daughtridge at Custom Made
Candy Cane inside glass - from Etsy - find it here!
Scalloped Glass Ornament - also from Etsy - find it here!









All the fruit ornaments came from Thames Glass.
I found them in a search for ornaments, and they are super charming!
They also have shells, and snowmen and other neat little things.



No comments:

Post a Comment