Friday, August 23, 2013

Things I do in Europe that I don’t do here

      Eat pastries at breakfast. I don’t do that in Seattle, in fact don’t even eat bread in Seattle.
    
     Totally cock up my coffee with a ton of sugar. Here I drink coffee black during the week, then have soy latte’s on the weekend, but in Europe I want cappuccino, espresso and I want all sorts of sugar in it! And I want lots of them in one day….. LOTS OF THEM!

Go without my phone. This is sort of by force because we Americans are so lame when it comes to global phones and phone services. Our carriers suck and our phones (except really new ones) aren’t compatible with the global systems. This is one area where America is completely out of the loop. Get it together USA! But, it’s sort of a good thing, I get to UNPLUG and be unencumbered by technology – light as a feather – not a care in the world. Some guys I know in Italy used to say “travel with no problems, no worries, like young boys”. That’s me, like a young boy. What?

 Walk walk walk walk walk walk. I walk a bit more now that we live downtown but frankly most of my time coming and going to work is in the car. And to get anywhere from the farm is by car. So the greatest thing about being on vacation and in Europe is the amount of walking we get to do. Walk to shop, walk to eat, walk to get ice cream, walk to coffee…walk to run errands, walk to see the sites.  Also, we have a few days in Frankfurt where we will have lovely walks along the Rhine to get to the old city. Check out our hotel - Gerbermuhle Frankfurt.

Have before and after dinner drinks. I usually don’t do this in America, but in Europe I think it’s completely reasonable to have a glass of Port or Vin Santo or something after dinner and even have something before and during dinner. And you know what else I’ve noticed – you can drink loads of wine in Europe and not wake up with a hangover. Hmmm, why? But it’s true. Yes, I’ve tested it many many times. Occasions when I should be face down in my pillow in the morning after a boozy wine dinner, and I feel like a million bucks. I’m a complete mess after 2 drinks here – why not in Europe?  
     
     Only possible explanation: Europe is awesome and nothing bad happens to you there.
 I’m sure there are more things that I’m not thinking of – but I’ll leave it at that for now. Just about non-stop thinking of vacation at this point – and when that happens – friends - we call it WORKATION. That means  I am actually at work, but I’m really not working, I’m in full-on vacation mode counting down the days. Heading to the drugstore next for supplies and travel size goodies. Love getting ready for trips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment