Friday, August 16, 2013

Car Rental in Croatia

Yesterday we (the Croatia group) had our last organizing phone call before we all meet up in Dubrovnik in a couple weeks. We were trying to make sure we all had tabs on each other for arrivals into Dubrovnik and if we had all booked the same hotel, and how we were going to get up to Split on the day we needed to. 

We decided that we'll rent a car (for 7 of us) to drive the coastal road (D8) up from Dubrovnik, through the small portion of Bosnia and onto Split. I think Google says it's like a 3.5 hour ride, but reality is that on a coastal road in the tourist season (or just after) it will be probably more like a 7-8 hour adventure. And, knowing our group, we'll want to stop a lot for pics, snacks, adventures. I was trying to get familiar with various bloggers ideas of how easy/hard the drive was and the transition through the border at Bosnia, but sounds like no big deal. I then read about how the road is all small and hairpin turns and super dangerous, blah blah, so I just stopped reading that - I really don't need to hear that - seriously. 

And, how fast and hairpin-y do you think we'll go in this thing (see below). Looks like this is our choice of "sweet ride" for accommodating 7 adults. Now sing: "every day I'm shuf-ful-in".


I hope we can fit all our crap in this thing. The more I read about fun things to do there, the more I want to bring - like snorkel gear, kayaks, water shoes, floaty devices, extra long camera lenses, fishing poles.... good lord, we'll need a sherpa. I'm sure we can rent some of that stuff as needed.

Just over 2 weeks away, and we are getting really really excited. If you have recommendations for restaurants and/or fun things to do for any of these spots, let me know. We are going to try to make it to Bisevo, Lastovo, Scedro, Vis, Hvar, Brac, Korcula and Mljet, Orebic, and Trogir on the way back to Split. 

No comments:

Post a Comment