Thursday, January 29, 2015

Look at the Bright Side







If you are 50 you might have already done this, but on Monday I had the "pleasure" of my first colonoscopy. I'm not going to tell you anything about how much I really wasn't in the mood for such an event, so instead I'm going to tell you all the good parts (or as many as I can come up with!)

All docs are different and have different protocol for how to prep. Some use a certain kind of "mix", my doctors gave me a prescription for polyethylene glycol, or PEG bowel prep. Not terrible, not great. But the good the comes along with it all is this:

Three days before event you have to not each veggies or fruit or high fiber - so as long as I avoided those, I got to have an excellent dinner of anything I wanted knowing that I wasn't going to be eating for quite a while. I had a chicken quesadilla - yes!!!
Two days before you are on liquids but they don't have to be clear liquids yet. And the directions say right out loud that you can have a milkshake!!! And I did and I didn't even feel bad about it at all. That was probably because it was the only thing with any calories at all that I could think of to eat drink! I think I got some juice and maybe some clear soup later.
One day before, it's all clear liquids. Broth, juice, pop, that kind of thing. I ate Miso soup with the good stuff strained out. There is really no good part of the one day before.

Day of dreaded event. The good news is that by now you are practically one-sided because you haven't eaten for a while, so you get to show up for your appointment feeling really skinny.

And finally... the best part.... the drugs they give you are awesome and you're pretty much out of it for the whole appointment. In fact, it's like you weren't even there.

And that's it. Over and done. Not bad. You don't need to know anything else - done and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment