Thursday, January 8, 2015

Field Trip

Mt. Rainier? Huh? Oh that mountain that I'm practically picking it out of my teeth every sunny day? That one? Yep! Well, again, true, never been there. UNTIL NOW! Another thing we checked off the list over the Holidays. Jumped in the car and drove right on up. It was delightful - well.... once we got there it was nice, and once we got down it was nice, the actual getting to was a little distressing for me.

The roads were sort of snow covered on the way up, naturally. It was December and it is a big mountain... so you would think I might have considered that when I said "yep, let's go!" - then right when the road turned to snow and ice I thought that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Did you know that there are a really lot of steep cliff-like drop offs on the road to Mt. Rainier? Did you know that I'm terrified of heights and cliff-like drop offs? By the time we got to the top Kit had to peel my fingers off the arm rests. I was tense - to say the least. I might have said "Could you slow down?" about 850 times.

And by the way, the car did perfectly fine. We didn't slip at all - I was just way overly worried that we would, and then plunge to our deaths - ahhhhhhhh! We didn't. On the way down we saw a Land Cruiser in the ditch and thought "what a douchebag" because he was probably going too fast. Lucky for Kit I repeated "Could you slow down?" another 850 times on the way back down the hill, so we never ended up in any ditch.

The mountain is beautiful. I'd like to go back, but in a different season. That would be nice.









No comments:

Post a Comment