Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Bench seat

I must be feeling better because I finally crossed a long overdue project off the list. Our bench seat by the door at the farm was about to fall completely apart. Look at this thing. Hideous. Whoever covered it with this fabric in the first place made a big mistake in using some super flimsy cotton - they should have used an upholstery fabric. It was pretty scraggly and ugly - really needed a make-over.

I found this fabric at Joann's. Pretty cute for right off the rack. And it was on sale. I measured the foam pad on the seat and bought the fabric and then got some extra at even more discount because it was the end of the bolt.

Exhibit A - the scraggly old cover
The fabric for the new cover - love it!
Here it is splayed out on the dining room table.
 Note: I didn't use a pattern - I just made it up - which is my usual way - because I just think "what the hell - I'll figure it out". When you do projects this way, be sure to think through it all the way. Don't just start cutting - you'll screw it up for sure. I measured several times. I've learned something about myself over the years. It is SUPER easy to measure wrong. Even when you think you've measured several times already - measure everything again. Then start cutting pieces. And you'll find that the measuring and cutting is not necessarily the fun part. It takes forever and is boring.... so so boring. But then you can get on with the sewing....

Old things sometimes break.
 But then this happened. The sewing machine crapped out. I tried not to panic. The motor was working but the wheel wasn't spinning which seemed to be a belt problem - and hmmm, when was the last time I changed the belt. Uh, never. So it seemed reasonable that the belt being more than 30 years old could probably use a change. I raced down to the Joann's again, but alas... they don't sell parts for machines from prehistoric times. What? You modern computer techy project runway seamstresses - bite me.... I had to order a belt online - so I got 2. Project on hold - one week delay. Got back to the farm this weekend with new belt (and a spare) in hand. Put everything back together and .............nuthin'. No worky. DON'T PANIC. DON'T PANIC..... oh, think through this. Motor works, belt moves turny thing - turny thing moves belt, but something else is wrong. I got out the flashlight and looked through everything like I thought an old sewing machine repair guy would do. And lo and behold, deep in the dark backside of the turny thing that the belt attaches to...there was a screw loose. Teeny tiny - requiring a super teen tiny screwdriver. Couple of turns later, and we are back in business. Putting that on the resume for sure. Sewing machine repair, check!

Decided velcro was the correct closure for the long backside.
I decided to sew the back side panel first and that velcro was a better solution than a zipper because the zipper would have been 8 feet long - that's too much. So velcro it was, and I found the iron-on stuff - which worked great. So i hemmed an edge, added the velcro, attached the other side to another piece, connected them as if they were one piece of fabric and got on with the sewing. 

Iron-on velcro works great.
Other piece that the velcro opposite will attach to
Both pieces of fabric with vecro holding them together
Sewing top to side to bottom to side - then ends.
 Once the whole business was sewn together, I just unvelcro'd the back side, turned the whole thing inside out and shoved the foam padding inside and worked the fabric around it so that it fit nicely and lined up correctly. Then i reattached the velcro and called it done. It was a lot like alligator wrestling. I was sweating by the end of it.

Final product

So, here it is in it's final resting place. I have enough fabric left to make a pillow or two which might be a nice add to the area. Hopefully this heavy fabric will last longer than the other stuff - plus, a darker background will work much better to hide dirt. I thought it turned out pretty well, and just in time for Thanksgiving. Done and done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment